Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY Ax In A Jiffy

One would think that Halloween would be one of my favorite holidays because it's one of the best times to display some craftiness. Unfortunately, I never know what I am going to do for Halloween or if anything at all, so I never plan for it. Also, I don't like the cold so it limits me on what I can wear. I had a Halloween party to go in Boulder, so at the last minute I thought I'd go as a lumberjack. Yes, I know... it's not very creative but at least I was dressed warm with my flannel, vest, boots, and hat. I did make an impromptu ax to go with my costume though. Does that count? This was super easy and I just used trash that was around my friends. Here are some quick instructions on how to make an fake ax in about 10-15 minutes.


Materials:

  • branch about 2 ft long and 1" in diameter
  • cardboard
  • duct tape
  • red nail polish (optional)


Instructions:

Cut out a piece of cardboard in the shape above (I made it so that I had a 5" blade).
Tape the branch or stick to the center of the cardboard.
Fold the edges of the blades together and duct tape all around (this should create realistic angle).
Try to get smooth seams by avoiding overlapping as much as possible.
Don't forget to cover the top and bottoms of the blade too!

*Alternatively, you could use foil on the outside or a different silver material. Duct tape was the best solution at the time.


 
For the bloody version, smear some red nail polish to both sides of the blade.
I got my effect by pouring some polish on the sides and whacking it around on some shrubs. :)

HAPPY HALLOWEEEN AND BE SAFE!

Pin It Now!