Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter: Cupcakes and Bacon Deviled Eggs

Happy Easter! I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. I spent the weekend with Mike's family for Easter. It was a great time and lots of great food. Typically one meal here and you are set for the rest of the day. My contributions included cupcakes and deviled eggs. :)

~CUPCAKES~


I used Betty Crocker's white cupcake mix. I think it's pretty tasty for box cupcakes. For the first variation, I used Nutella (works amazing as icing) topped with coconut M&Ms. Doesn't it look like nests of bird eggs? For the second, I made my own strawberry whipped butter icing (will post a recipe when I perfect it) and made an attempt to top the cupcakes with roses. I think I did alright on my first try. Here is a great site that I used to help me learn a little about how to frost cupcakes: Cupcake Basics - How to Frost Cupcakes.

~BACON DEVILED EGGS~

The first time I ever made bacon deviled eggs for Mike and a friend during an impromptu BBQ, it blew their minds. Anytime we talk about appetizer or bacon in general, Mike loves to brag about this moment. It's so sweet and endearing and might even make me blush a little. :) Here's how I make it:

Ingredients:
  • 12 eggs
  • 1/2 C of mayonaisse (I like the kind with Olive oil)
  • 1 TB of mustard
  • 5 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 TB paprika, extra for dusting over completed eggs

Instructions:
  • The first thing that you need to do tape up a carton of eggs and turn the carton on the sides the night before. The reason I do this is so that the egg yolk will settle in the center of the egg for a better presentation. You won't run the risk of part of the wall being too thin and the white breaking as you scoop the yolk.
  • Place the eggs in a large pot and pour enough cold water in to just cover the eggs. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and cover for 12-14 minutes. Remove eggs and put in a bowl of cold water to cool.

  • Scoop the yolk into a large bowl and mash it with the mayo, mustard, and paprika with a potato masher. Mix in the bacon.
  • Put the mixture in a ziplock bag, cut off a corner, and pipe it into the shell.

  • Dust some paprika over them, garnish, and you will have yourself some fine deviled eggs which are sure to impress. This is another example that goes to show that bacon makes everything better.

Pin It Now!