Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Resumes and More

I wanted to share with everyone my thoughts on resume writing. I’ve been doing a lot of research on what is the “perfect resume”, but I’ve quickly learned that there is no such thing. Every recruiter or hiring manager has his or her own quirks and look for different things in a resume. There’s a general structure, but you have to craft your resume to not only reflect you but also to match the position that you are pursuing. This can be difficult. I know it was for me, but I did the best I could with the experiences I had. Everyone should have a standard resume that they can use to build onto and modify for each position. Also, it’s a good idea to have a standard resume for different industries, if applicable. So, why am I so interested in resumes all of a sudden you might ask? I recently found out that my IT job has been outsourced, so I’ve been busy looking for new employment and preparing myself for applications. I used to think that I knew how to write a good resume, but times have changed and my resume was outdated. There’s so many styles and templates out, so I’m going to share the common practices I’ve found among the examples I’ve come across to save you time and headache. It’s not going to be perfect and if you want to share anything contrary or extra, please feel free to leave a comment. It’s a learning experience and ideas are valued. I will be doing this in a series, so please stay tuned and revisit the Resumes and More page as reference during you job search. These are the sections that I will cover:

1) Resume
2) Cover Letter
3) References
4) Examples

Now, let's get started! Click here for the first article.

Pin It Now!