Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fabric Coasters

I should probably be better about using coasters, but I am usually not too bothered about them unless it's a glass surface. The coffee table set that I purchased from Craigslist are all glass tops and I've been meaning to make some coasters ever since I got the set. I was not able to find the right cork size pieces I needed and didn't find a fabric that I liked until last week at Joann's. The fabric was actually an upholstery hanger sample that matched my living decor. It cost me $0.40 and I figured that I could get at least 4 coasters out of it without much effort. That sounds like a good deal to me :)

Material:
  • a template to trace a square with (I used a 5x5" paper CD sleeve)
  • thick fabric

Instructions:
I folded the fabric right sides together and sewed the squares before cutting them out.
I like to cut as little as possible so I traced the squares so that each square was touching.
Then, I sewed three sides of each square 1/4" from the sides.
When all were sewn, I cut along the traced outline.

Snip the corners, turn right side out, and iron flat.
Iron the folds of the open side in and edge stitch all around.

There you have it, coasters in a pinch! No more glass on glass action or water rings!


Pin It Now!