Monday, April 15, 2013

A Quick Idea To Transform A Bookcase

My coat closet has been over flooded with fabric for the last few months, but I had been procrastinating about doing something about it. I've been looking for a house in the last few months, so my excuse has always been that I would wait until I can have a dedicated craft room. Considering the lack of progress in my house hunt, I couldn't wait that long! So, last week I finally ordered a bookcase to store my fabric. I shopped around for a long time and finally decided to get a white bookcase from Walmart. I originally got one from Target, but it was um... a piece of junk. For $35, my new bookcase from Walmart was perfect for an interim solution and was sturdy enough (here's what I bought: Ameriwood 5-Shelf Bookcase, Multiple Finishes). I wasn't too thrilled about the bottom of the shelves being uncoated, so I picked up some cheap wrapping paper for $1 from Target and taped it to the bottoms. I didn't want to commit to it anything since I plan to move soon (hopefully!), but if you want a more permanent solution, try this:
  • Place a shelf on top of the wrapping paper, trace around it, and cut.
  • Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge on the bottom of the shelves.
  • Place the paper on top, align, and smooth out.
  • Let it dry, and add a couple more layers of Mod Podge over it while allowing it to dry in between. Be sure to coat the edges. Finish with a varnish, if desired.
I think this makes the bookshelf look so pretty!
If you're interested in how to organize your fabric the same way,

Pin It Now!