Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Coffee Cup Sleeve 2.1 & Fabric Gift Bag

I've been excited to share some of the things I've been making and am glad to finally have the opportunity to do so! It was recently one of my friend's birthday, so I bought her some items and made some. I was going to make her a makeup bag, but I just didn't have enough time to try something new. We were going to meet up at a coffee shop so it was only fitting that I make her one of my favorite things to make, a cup sleeve. To make this, you can follow my tutorial here: Coffee Cup Sleeve 2.0. The only difference is that I took some of the "slant" off the ends from my pattern. It won't be necessary to do that if you grab a coffee sleeve from a coffee shop beforehand (I didn't have one on hand). I also made an impromptu gift bag. :) With gift bags being typically at least $0.50 to purchase, making your own is much cheaper, takes little time, customizable, and can be reused for other things. I didn't take any procedural pictures because I was in a rush and figured it was easy enough to just provide a quick explanation. When the next opportunity arises, I'll provide a more in-depth tutorial in case anyone needs it or make a better gift bag. :)




  • Just place your items on the fabric to figure out how big you need to cut it, include room for the bulk of the items and 1/4" seam allowances. Cut on the fold so that you have one long piece.
  • Fold right sides together and sew the two sides and leave an opening on top. Hem the opening.
  • Cut a piece of printed scrapbook paper or similar and punch a hole in it for the gift tag.
  • Cut two pieces of cording, ribbon, yarn, or similar to use as handles. Cut lengths in appropriate proportions to the size of your bag.
  • Pull one of the handle pieces through the gift tag and sew a handle piece to the insides of the opening. Sew on the hem line. Turn right side out and voila!



Pin It Now!