Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Chocolate Mint Cookies

I love cooking meals, but I'm not much a dessert person or baker. I can make fancy cheesecakes, but my cookies always turn out burnt or flat. I made a large batch of chocolate mint cookies that I think was probably my best batch of cookies ever. The outside was slightly crispy, but the inside was so soft. It could also be that I finally have good cookie sheets. I got these Calphalon cookie sheets from Target. They work so well and they are huge, so they fit a bunch of cookies. I was able to make 25 per sheet for smaller-medium size cookies.


I made a bunch of cookies as a way of saying thanks to the neighbors for being sooooo nice and patient while Winston is getting crate trained. I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com, Chocolate Mint Cookies I. I pretty much followed the recipe to the T, except that I used only 1 cup of brown sugar. I have been stuffing my face all day with the leftover cookies. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 C butter
  • 1 C packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2 C semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 package of Andes mint chocolate

Instructions:
  • In a large pan over low heat, cook butter, sugar and water until butter is melted. Add chocolate chips and stir until partially melted. Remove from heat and continue to stir until chocolate is completely melted. Pour into a large bowl (or your mixer bowl, if using a stand) and let stand 10 minutes to cool off slightly.
  • At high speed, beat in eggs, one at a time into chocolate mixture. Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, beating until blended. Chill dough about 1 hour. Prepare the dry ingredients while it is chilling.




  • Roll dough into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart (I did 1-in balls and that yield 56 cookies). Bake 8-10 minutes. While cookies are baking unwrap mints and divide each in half (1 pkg of Andes has exactly 56 halves!).

  • When cookies are brought out of the oven, put 1/2 mint on top of each cookie. The mint may slide off, so watch for this. Swirl the chocolate around when melted. Let the frosting harden before storing away.

Pin It Now!