Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Grocery Bag Dispenser

I've got another tutorial!  Yay!  I must say that doing tutorials are little more involved than I thought they'd be.  :)  I also wish that I had better pictures to share.  For now, it's just my iPhone, bad lighting, and Photoshop.

have had a kitchen drawer overflowing with grocery bags and finally decided it was time to do something about it.  I made this grocery bag dispenser and hung it over the trash can in my kitchen.  Now, I have a much needed free drawer!  This was super easy to make.  It probably took me longer to figure out the right dimensions for the fabric and elastic pieces and how I wanted to construct it than it was to actually sew it together.  I am already thinking of making more to give to my friends as small Christmas gifts.  However, I don't think I will get around to this soon enough.  I am too eager to try a bunch of new projects instead.  :D  I didn't think to count how many bags I stuffed in there, but I am guessing there are 25-30 bags with room for a few more.  You stuff from the top and pull from the bottom (if you look closely you can see a bag poking through).

Materials:

  • 19x15" cotton fabric
  • 2x8" cotton fabric
  • 4" elastic (3/8")
  • 8" elastic (3/8") *Instead of doing an elastic opening at the top you could go with a drawstring.  Cut a 2x15" strip of fabric and follow the same steps used to make the hanging loop.
  • 1 safety pin

Costs:
  • fabric ~ $1.50/yd, Joann
  • elastic ~ $1.50/6yd, Walmart

Instructions:

Place the large piece of fabric right side down.  Fold in 3/4" on both sides and sew with enough space for the elastic to go through.
Attach a safety pin to one end one of the elastic pieces.  Leading with the pinned end, work the elastic through one of the casings you just sewed.  Stop as soon as the unpinned end disappears into the casing.  Sew this end of the casing and elastic together with zigzag stitches.  Continue working the rest of the elastic through the casing.  Remove the safety pin and sewing this end shut.  Repeat with the other elastic.  Distribute the gathering evenly.

Sew the long ends of the fabric together right side in.
Fold the remaining piece of fabric in half (long sides together) and crease.  With the right side down, fold the top and bottom towards the crease, and then fold in half.  Sew all around and keep as close to the edges as possible.
Flip the bag right side out.  Place one end of the strip over the inside vertical seams of the bag and sew over the casing stitches.  Sew the other end of the strap the same way next to it.  Be sure to expose the same side of the strap on both ends and not twisting it.  It hangs better this way.

Stick a nail in the wall, stuff, and hang!

Pin It Now!