Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cat in the Hat

I hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving!  Oh man, how I miss that deep fried turkey!  I don't think that I have had traditional oven-cooked turkey for Thanksgiving in years.  I need to start working on shedding a couple extra pounds soon.

I thought I'd post a quick tutorial today of a Cat in the Hat hat that I made for my kitties.  I don't have any pictures of the process, but the instructions should be simple and clear enough to do without.  It isn't much, but I figured that I've got to start somewhere.  I made my kitties the hat and a red bow tie, but they have since destroyed both (yes, that's how much they loved them...)  I do not dress my kitties, but Derpy looks the part so much that I couldn't resist.

 Materials:
  • 1/6 yd of white and red felt
  • bobby pins
  • elastic (optional)

 Cost:
  • Felt ~ $2.50/yd, Joann

 Instructions:


  • Sew a red and white strip together (use 1/4" seams for this project).  Open this up with the seam on the bottom.  Place a red strip on top of the white strip and sew together.  Continue in this fashion until all strips are sewn.  The body should start and end with a red piece and all seams should be on the same side.
  • Bring both sides of the body together with the seams facing out.  Sew together.
  • Pin the top circle to one end of the striped tube and carefully sew onto the tube.
  • Turn it all right side out.  Pin the brim to the other end of the bottom of the hat.  Sew so that the seams are underneath.  Iron out if necessary.
  • Sew an elastic piece on the inside seams of the brim, if desired.
Now, good luck getting your kitty or pet to wear it!


Pin It Now!