Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Infinity Scarf


I hope that everyone had an amazing Christmas and a safe New Year's celebration! 2013 came and went by so quickly. I guess it's only going to feel more like that as I get older. It was a rough year and I am thankful for having great friends and lots of hobbies to escape to when needed. I caught a bit of the sewing bug last week and I am happy to end the year on a productive note.

One of the projects I finished was an infinity scarf. I am obsessed with scarves and plaid. So, naturally the two was the perfect combination. It was also super easy and cheap to make. I found a thick good quality plaid flannel in JoAnn's clearance for a little under $2.50 a yard and one yard is enough to make two scarves. So, make one for yourself and another for your significant other or friend ;)

Material:
  • 1 yd of fabric (a thicker fabric will produce a better shape, but you also want something soft and wearable too)


Instructions:

  • As mentioned earlier, one yard of fabric can make two scarves. Fold the fabric selvage to selvage and cut down the middle. It should give you a piece of fabric that will be at least 21x36". I thought this was a good size for me, but a few inches wider shouldn't be an issue either.
  • Fold the fabric long-wise, right sides together. Sew the long sides together with 1/4" seams. This should form a long tube.
  • Turn right side out.


The next step is to sew the open ends together so that the scarf will become an enclosed tube.

  • Fold the scarf in half so the open ends are on top of each other.
  • Pin the inner two layers of fabric together. Start by sewing the pinned edges together and continue sewing all the way around as far as you can. This can be somewhat difficult, but try to do as much as you can and be sure to not accidentally sew any of the other layers into it.


  • When you can't sew any further, stop. I was able to sew together all but about 2".
  • Turn right side out again and ladder stitch the gap close.

The result is a cute and cozy infinity scarf!

Pin It Now!