Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Reusable Zip Bags

Yes, yes, it's been awhile.. sigh. It's been extremely hectic and busy around here. At the end of the day, I'm too tired to work on any projects. Raising Winston is proving to be tougher than I thought. He is getting so big and strong and is also quite the athlete... escaping pens, climbing on crates, and jumping over his classmates in puppy kindergarten. I did manage to sew some treat bags since the dog bed. They have come in quite handy and I use them everyday. 

The first tutorial is just a simple reusable zip bag. I was going through way too many ziplock bags and that costs money! I chose a water-resistent material for easy cleaning and did not want to trouble with lining. I use it as pet treat bags, but you could use these for anything and it is a basic start to most bags.

Materials:
  • (2) pieces of a fabric that is easy to clean (Decide how big you want the treat bag and allow for 1/4" seam allowances. I went smaller bags so I used 4x5" pieces.)
  • zipper equal to the width of your bag or longer (I used 4" zippers. You can trim down a longer zipper.)

Costs:
  • fabric ~ $3/yd (Joann)
  • zipper ~ $0.75 (Joann)

Instructions:

1) You will start off by attached the front and back fabric to the zipper.
2) To do so, place the zipper tab down on the top of the first piece of fabric with its right side up. Start sewing with the zipper partially unzipped.  I usually try to stitch half way between the teeth and the edge of the zipper.
3) Flip the zipper over and top stitch close to the sewn edge.
4) The first piece should look like this when you are done.


 5) Place the second piece of fabric right side down over the first piece of fabric. The edges of the top piece should line up with the zipper edge and the bottom piece should be right side up. Sew the fabric onto the zipper.
6) Flip over the top piece and top stitch.
7) Bring right sides together and sew around the 3 sides.
8) Snip the corners, turn the bag right side up and you are done!



 Here is how mine turned out. Simple and clean. I ended up making two.


Here is how one of them looks now, because Setzer got his paws on it. He tries to get into Winston's treats all the time.

Pin It Now!